Content Management System
A Content Management System OR CMS is a set or related programs or software application which you used to create as well as manage digital content with the help of common user interface. Usually, CMS supports multiple users working in a collaborative environment. Typically it is used for Web content management (WCM) and Enterprise Content Management (ECM). There are many Content management Systems that offers a web-based GUI and enable publishers to access the CMS online with the help of web browser. It is very critical to the success of the intranet and almost every website. Yet there are lots of organizations which are not familiar with this technology. Here in this article, I am going to share with you complete overview of Content Management System.
Best Features of Content Management System
- There are lots of CMS available nowadays so that’s why features are varying amongst the various CMS offerings. The core functions of every CMS are same such as indexing, retrieval, search, revision, and format management and publishing.
- Search and Retrieval feature of CMS index all data for easy access through search functions and after all allow users to search by attributes such as keywords, publication dates, and author.
- Format management facilities turning legacy electronic documents into PDF or HTML documents and also turn scanned paper documents.
- Revision feature included in CMS allow content to be updated as well as edited after initial publication. Revision control feature also tracks all the changes made to file by the user.
- Publishing functionality of CMS allows its user to use a template or set of templates approved by the organization.
A CMS is able to offer tools for one-to-one marketing. One-to-one marketing is the best ability of a website to tailor its advertising and content to a user’s specific characteristics by using the information provided by the user or gathered by the website. For example, if the user visited any search engine and searched for cell phones, the advertising banners would feature such businesses that sell cell phones instead of businesses that sell women clothes. There are also some lots of other features of content management system which include
- Search engine friendly URLs
- Group-based permission systems
- Template support as well as customizable templates
- Easy wizard based install
- Integrated file managers
- Admin panel which supports lots of languages
Business Benefits of Content Management System
There are lots of business benefits that can be obtained by implementing a content management system in an effective manner.
- Faster turnaround time for new pages and changes
- Improved site navigation
- Increased security
- Reduced duplication of information
- Greater consistency
- Increased website flexibility
- Reduced site maintenance costs
- Greater capacity for growth
Besides these greatest benefits which are listed above content management system can also support your business goals and strategies. For example, CMS can help you to increase user satisfaction, sales or assist in communicating with the public.
Best Content Management Systems
Here I am going to share with you top 3 best content management systems
WordPress is the most popular CMS platforms for blogging. Due to its excellent documentation, it is a great platform for beginners.
Drupal is also one of the best CMS that has a very large, active community. It is a great platform that offers interesting features like forums, Open ID, user blogs, profiles and more.
When it comes to functionality Joomla is one the top of the list because it is a very advanced CMS. Due to great Joomla’s installer getting started with Joomla is fairly easy.